MSc Sustainable Food Systems
Join our European Double Degree programme !
Our MSc programme in sustainability meets the challenges of the food sector…
Our European double degree programme is a two-year international master’s degree aiming at educating future academics and managers for food companies and organisations to manage food processing and other food production related activities in a sustainable way.
Two european Higher Education Institutes Isara (France), Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Italy) & Ghent University in the field of agriculture and food science have joined forces to offer the Susfoods Master programme.
Sustainability is an important aspect for the food sector. There is a high demand for qualified professionals who are able to understand the topics of sustainability “from farm to fork” and how to integrate and implement sustainability in the food chain.
Programme Type : European Double degree programme
Participative universities : Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Italy), University of Ghent (Belgium), Isara (France)
Place of teaching : Cremona (Italy), Ghent (Belgium), Lyon (France)
Language : English
Duration : 2 years
Funds and Funding : EUR 5,000 / year – Scholarships available
Application deadline : 1st March (Non European) & 1st May (European)
Programme semester details
FIRST Semester – Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Italy)
- Introduction to sustainability of the food systems (e-learning) – 05 ECTS
- Economic impact of agricultural and food regulation – 05 ECTS
- Food footprint: the environmental impact of the agro food chain – 05 ECTS
- Agricultural and food supply chain management – 05 ECTS
- Multichannel retail marketing – 05 ECTS
- Innovation in food packaging – 08 ECTS
- Mandatory seminar on Theological Issues – no ECTS)
SECOND Semester – Students can choose among two specialisations for the second semester
- Food processing, innovation and tradition at UCSC
- Food technology at Ghent University
The semester offered at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore focuses on Food processing, innovation and tradition and includes the following courses:
- Grains and Vegetables technology (04 ECTS)
- Fruit Science (04 ECTS)
- Animal Sources (04 ECTS)
- Food technology and plants (10 ECTS)
- Food quality assurance and international certifications (05 ECTS)
The University of Ghent (Belgium) offers a semester focusing on Food technology and includes the following courses:
- Advanced Marketing and Agribusiness Management (05 ECTS)
- Food Safety and Risk Analysis (5 ECTS)
- Functional foods (5 ECTS)
- Planning and Project Design (07 ECTS)
- Scientific Reading, Writing and Presentation Skills (03 ECTS)
- Packaging Technology (05 ECTS)
- Food Legislation (05 ECTS)
THIRD Semester – Isara (France)
This is a comprehensive applied semester enabling students to incorporate transversal and soft skills. They will include group works in strong cooperation with partner industries. The semester is made of two courses:
- Entrepreneurship and sustainable development in food industrial – 15 ECTS
- Food processing and managerial innovation – 15 ECTS
The students carry out their Master’s thesis at Isara or UCSC. It can also be carried out along an internship in a food organisation or food companies. Thus, the master thesis will be supervised by one of the universities.
The Master thesis includes:
- an independent project, research and data analysis on a topic related to sustainability in food supply chain.
- a written thesis 70 %, and thesis oral defense (60 mn) 30%